Whether you live in a small apartment, condo or brand new home, storage space is always a premium. Accumulating possessions, changes in lifestyle and family status all contribute to a growing overload. There are few storage options – trash vs. acquiring more space. Using self-storage reduces clutter while making it possible to hang on to valuable possessions. Fortunately, there are viable options in Madison WI and the surrounding area.
Deciding on what is and what isn’t trash is fairly easy, in the beginning. But, eventually, hard decisions must be made – balancing sentimental value with real worth, etc. Before overdoing the stress and looking for a bigger home, consider renting an appropriately-size self-storage unit.
How Self-storage Reduces Clutter
When you rent a 10×10-foot space are your storage problems solved? Maybe, or maybe not. The first step in the process of evaluating storage options is to figure out how much space you really need. There’s more to consider than just the overall size of your additional space.
Before you can determine how much additional space you’ll need, you have to know what you’re going to fill it with. Make a list of the various items you don’t use on a regular basis. Separate the list into categories to make it easier to review. Here are four categories that work:
- Records – things like tax documents you need to keep, financial statements, investment information, owners’ manuals for appliances, vehicle information, etc. As you review this category take note of the dates on each document – tax documents should be saved for at least seven years while most other financial statements should be shredded after a year or so. Investing in a shredder makes sense.
- Keepsakes – Keepsakes include personal items like photo albums, family heirlooms, antiques, collectibles and furniture you may be planning to use “someday.” These are items you may not use for long periods of time but they have value. If your keepsakes includes photos, art work or antiques, consider selecting a self-storage unit with climate control to protect these valuables.
- Seasonal – Are you one of those in your neighborhood with impressive Christmas displays? Large inflatable ghosts, Santas or other features? Going with self-storage reduces clutter by getting these bulk items out of the house and into a place where they will be safer.
Seasonal items also include a long list of sports gear – skiing equipment, boats and ATVs. It can also include season-specific clothing that often clutters closets, basements and garages.
- Junk – Last, but not least, the catch-all category. Basically, junk is whatever you have that doesn’t fit one of the above lists. It can include broken or damaged pieces, things you just don’t use or just don’t want. As you complete your search for storage options, discard, sell or donate the pieces on your junk list.
Why Do I Need More Storage Space?
Through the course of everyday living, people collect possessions. There’s an indisputable fact: as your collection of possessions expands, your home’s storage space does not. Self-storage reduces clutter at every level, but is especially valuable when faced with one or more of the following major impacts:
- A Household Move — Whether moving into a first apartment, a new home or a new city a major move is stressful. Belongings stored in a self-storage unit can be accessed as needed and the new residence (or business) can be organized faster and more efficiently.
- Downsizing the Family Home — When people decide they need less space to live in they often underestimate the space they need for valuable possessions. Among storage options, a climate-controlled space can prove valuable while the family determines how to proceed. Clean, accessible self-storage reduces clutter before it gets started.
- Selling the House — In real estate it’s all about “staging.” Making rooms look open and presentable to would-be buyers. What owners perceived as comfortable, real estate agents consider clutter. Self-storage reduces clutter by housing extra furnishings until the sale is complete.
- College Students — When members of the family go off to college or start a first job, parents are often looking for ways to adapt their former room for new uses. Rather than making attics, basements and garages even more overburdened storage spaces, a self-storage unit for extra items makes sense.
- Temporary Business Storage — With more and more business being conducted remotely and buying and selling done via the Internet, small storage units have become one of the most popular business storage options. Running a business from your home puts a real premium on space for inventory and supplies. Self-storage reduces clutter by conveniently moving it all off-site. It’s clean, neat and efficient.
Self-storage Reduces Clutter Clogging Garages
If there’s a single area in a home where the clutter of too many things in a limited space truly shows up it’s the garage. Rarely does the size of the garage matter – the more room, the more that can be put into it (not necessarily vehicles).
What do you find in a typical Madison WI area garage that could be safely and efficiently stored off-site?
- Sporting equipment – water skis in winter, snow skis in July. Portable deer stands, duck decoys, soccer balls, golf clubs. It can be a long list.
- “Fun” vehicles – motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, canoes, kayaks, boats and camping trailers.
- Seasonal tools – Mowers, garden tractors and snowthrowers.
- Hobby gear – woodworking tools, shop equipment, materials, etc.
- Seasonal furniture – patio furniture, garden elements
Reduce Clutter, Consider Storage Options
There are storage options just right for your lifestyle in facilities in the Madison WI area. A+ Storage has units of all sizes available at three separate storage facilities. Two locations include climate controlled units. All are readily accessible to for Dane county residents in Waunakee, Middleton, Verona, Fitchburg, Oregon, McFarland, Monona, and Cottage Grove.
Call A+ Storage at 608-837-5113 in Sun Prairie or 608-442-7339 in Madison or email us to evaluate storage options and learn how self-storage reduces clutter in the Madison WI area.