Whether moving across town or across the country, realizing just how much stuff you have is the worst thing about packing up your belongings. For a lot of people, the solution to having too much stuff is to either donate all the things they no longer need or have a moving sale to help pay for the move. Holding a moving sale is a great option if you want to minimize the cost of the move.
Choosing An Online or Garage Sale Prior To Moving
Try to decide early in the process if you are planning a moving sale because it can affect many parts of the moving process. The first decision you face is whether to have a garage sale or if you want to have a online moving sale.
An online sale can be done on online ad sites such as Craigslist. Online sites allow you to list high price items and groups of items individually or in one inclusive listing.
A traditional way of getting rid of belongings before a move is a garage sale. With the internet, however, what is becoming more common is a combination of a garage sale and an online sale. For example, after a garage sale, remaining big ticket items can be sold online. Other items not worth the time and effort can easily be donated to thrift stores or charities.
Planning A Moving Sale In Madison WI
With moving sales, it is important to be sure to complete them far enough in advance of your move so the details do not interfere with the moving process. A good moving checklist for Madison WI homeowners should include the following steps –
- Set your moving sale date as early in your moving process as possible (garage and/or online)
- Create the marketing as soon as that date is set (ads, fliers, email or social media, etc.)
- Designate where you will store your moving sale items (self-storage facilities)
- Designate a corner of your garage, spare bedroom, etc., for storage and staging – make sure your family knows to put moving sale items there
- Start sorting. This is an extremely important part of any move. Whether you’re having a moving sale or not, your belongings will be split by what is moving with you and what is left behind
- Be sure to have boxes ready for packing, selling, donating, and bags for trash
- Number One Rule – every item should be immediately designated as one of those categories and dealt with appropriately – never handle any items twice
IMPORTANT – before moving, remember the more items you leave behind, the lower the moving costs and the less personal time, energy and patience you will expend.
Organize Moving – Or Not Moving – Your Belongings
To help focus your moving efforts, consider limiting the number of boxes you are willing to move. With a limit set, prioritizing your belongings will have more focus and decisions will become clearer.
As you prepare for your moving sale, try to organize categories of items. General categories include clothing, kitchenware, books, sports equipment, tools, and so on. At the end of each day, dust, clean, polish and sort items for the moving sale. This will help you avoid staying up late the night before your moving sale prepping for sale. If possible, pricing while cleaning will help save time as well.
Holding Your Moving Sale
In the week leading up to your moving sale, you will need to complete a few more tasks for a successful sale. An online moving sale is different than a garage sale, so adapt the steps below as needed.
- Get your family excited about helping out with the sale — commissions on items sold, dinner at their favorite restaurants, etc.
- Have enough tables to display all sale items
- Put up signs at intersections leading to your moving sale
- Publish online advertising/announcements
- Post pictures of sale items on social media to interest of friends, family, and co-workers
- Be sure prices are clearly marked
- Be able to make change for buyers – have cash on hand
- Have bags and boxes for sold items
- Know what you will do with unsold items
As you prepare for your moving sale, you may need storage for extra items. At A+ Storage we have a variety of traditional self-storage units and climate controlled storage units in our Madison WI storage facilities. There are also new climate controlled storage units at the Sun Prairie location. Our standard self storage facilities in Madison, Sun Prairie and DeForest are convenient for Dane County residents in Waunakee, Middleton, Verona, Fitchburg, Oregon, McFarland, Monona and Cottage Grove.
Call A+ Storage at 608-837-5113 or email us for details on our self storage units in Madison WI, Sun Prairie and Deforest can be a part of your moving sale plans.