When it comes to storing valuable paperwork or paper-based collections finding a climate controlled storage facility is paramount. The enemy of all fragile papers is humidity and there’s plenty of that in Madison WI. Fortunately, there are self-storage units in multiple locations that can provide the necessary environment for all your temperature- and humidity-sensitive materials.
Choose Climate Controlled Storage for Documents
Whether you’re looking to store vital business documents, personal records or old postcards from family vacations, it’s important to protect individual pages. Select a self-storage unit with climate control and prepare documents for long- or short-term residence. In making the selection and preparing for the move, consider the following:
- The self-storage units are secure
- Access to the unit is easy – convenient hours
- Store backups of electronic files in a separate location
- If you can, use secure containers like file cabinets
- Make sure that all the boxes you use are clearing marked – dates and titles of content
- Store boxes off the floor for easy access
- Avoid packing with newspaper – the ink can transfer
Protect Collectables, Too
While business and personal records may be a primary reason to use a climate controlled storage facility, any assortment of collectables worth preserving benefits from a safe environment. Among the many collections found in self-storage units, a few truly benefit from the protection a stable environment provides, including:
- Stamp Collections – postage stamps, especially really old and valuable ones, are extremely susceptible to harm from excess humidity. Stamps exposed to high temperatures and high humidity will curl, stick and fade. The value of a rare stamp can be lost or preserved forever just by making the right storage decision.
- Comic Books – Collecting comic books is one of the 20th century’s most popular pastimes and every edition benefits from a climate controlled storage space. Traditionally printed on lesser grades of paper, these collectables will fade, change color, absorb moisture and actually disintegrate under harsh conditions.
- Rare, Special Books – nothing ruins the value of a rare or out of print book faster than mildew or mold. Bindings give way, paper yellows and covers fade.
- Photos, Albums and Scrapbooks – memories cannot be replaced. Not only do photos require aclimate controlled environment to preserve their quality, they need to be stored in specially treated containers. The chemicals on old photos will change color when exposed to heat and moisture or when stored in sleeves or containers that don’t pass the Photographic Activity Test (PAT). The chemicals in old photos will interact with plastics and other materials that don’t meet PAT standards and even traditional slide will change chemical composition. When temperatures are too high prints stick together and chemical changes take place, even in albums and scrapbooks.
- Artwork – a painting doesn’t have to be by a classic master to have value. It could be a masterpiece done by your child in preschool. No matter, protecting it and any other pieces of art requires attention to temperature and humidity. Making a climate controlled place for safe keeping a must.
- Craft and Hobby Supplies – papers, fabrics and the basic ingredients for all manner of craft projects maintain their quality longer when self-storage units provide a monitored environment. Protecting materials from ups and downs in temperature and humidity is vital. Keeping sensitive papers and fabrics away from UV light is critical. Crafting tools can also benefit from climate controlled storage that protects operating systems from environmental extremes.
Climate Controlled Units Within Reach
There are storage options just right for your requirements in the Madison WI area. A+ Storage has storage units of all sizes available at three separate storage facilities. Two locations include climate controlled units. All are readily accessible to for Dane county residents in Waunakee, Middleton, Verona, Fitchburg, Oregon, McFarland, Monona, and Cottage Grove.
Call A+ Storage at 608-837-5113 in Sun Prairie or 608-442-7339 in Madison or email us to view all the self-storage units we have and our climate controlled storage in the Madison WI area.