Self storage for Recreational Vehicles is an important action to take in climates like we have in Madison WI.
Protecting your RV from the elements, pests, debris from trees and shrubs and vandals is important. If you have an RV, you know it is not a small investment. So it makes sense to use secure self storage facilities to protect it from external threats. However, it is just as important to protect you RV while it is in storage. Often, specific procedures recommended by the RV manufacturer, chassis manufacturer and appliance producers should be reviewed and followed when your RV goes into self storage. For the best long term care, store your vehicle in an area protected from the sun’s harmful rays.
Protecting Your RV When It Is In Storage
- Follow the owner’s manual for engine, LP gas, generator, water heater and sanitation system storage tips.
- Remove all perishable food from cabinets to eliminate smells and pests.
- Turn off the refrigerator. Check to be sure all power sources are off including 12 volt, 110 volt and LP gas.
- Remove all food from the refrigerator and clean the inside. Leave the door open to air out.
- Clean rooftop to protect the paint finish
- Clean the air conditioner filters and cover the outside unit.
- Clean the interior of the RV – time can help smells and stains develop. Pull the shades and close the blinds.
- Turn off propane cylinders and cover the regulator.
- Cover or tape vents to the furnace and range hood for long-term storage. This stops pests getting into your RV.
- Close all roof vents and windows.
- Use chemical dehumidifiers to prevent condensation.
- Check tire pressure.
- Inspect and clean roof, body, interior, soft molding and caulking. Repair any damage.
- Use spray lubricants with locks to prevent rust and freezing.
- Remove and store batteries in an area not subject to freezing.
- For motor homes in self storage facilities, check operating fluid levels under the hood.
- Also, fill up the gas tank and add fuel stabilizer.
- Empty and thoroughly rinse all holding tanks.
- In a Madison WI winter, water tanks, lines and pumps should be drained. After draining, fill with non-toxic RV antifreeze to prevent any remaining water left in the system from freezing.
- DO NOT use auto antifreeze in your water system
Storage units are well worth their price in terms of security and protection from the elements for your RV.
In Madison WI, leaving an RV outside during the winter months will accelerate aging, depreciate the value of your RV and expose it to extreme weather. Storage units for vehicles and RVs allow owners a safe and affordable way to protect their investments.
To learn more about how self storage and climate controlled storage units can help protect you property and your budget, contact A+ Storage. We feature traditional self-storage units and climate controlled storage units in our Madison WI storage facilities. Our self storage facilities in Madison, Sun Prairie and DeForest are easily accessible for Dane county residents in Waunakee, Middleton, Verona, Fitchburg, Oregon, McFarland, Monona and Cottage Grove.
Call A+ Storage at 608-837-5113 or email us for details on our RV self storage units in Madison WI, Sun Prairie and Deforest.